Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Post-Its of Remembrance

Just in case you're wondering, it's still winter here. And that's all I'm going to say about it.



I started writing this update last week. In case you hadn't noticed yet, I'm a slow blogger. Partly because I'm chewing on what - and how - to share with you for a while before it appears here. And partly, well, you know, life. Having a single slot of time to get an update written and out into the world is rare. Anyway, I hope you don't get too confused!

Polar Vortex Productivity


So last week, our first full week with the girls back at school after the extended-by-the-polar-vortex-big-freeze Christmas break, and with Storly and myself fully concentrated on work, was pretty productive. Considering I had the flu....Yep, urgh.

In the midst of 'please can you get me another box of tissues?' 'another cup of Hot Honey & Lemon?', we've been doing some woo-hoo-ing at progress being made on the biggest goal that Storly and I have for the station, and it's a financial one. Almost unbelievable progress, I might add. Taking the station to a good place financially that we have never seen before. (I say almost unbelievable progress, but here's the thing. We've been praying for it for years, others have been praying for it for more years, been working hard towards it, sacrificing for it, cutting back to bare bones for it and now it's here.(And it's taking a while to sink in.) To God be the glory!

Along with the woo-hoo-ing, we've been reflecting on how quickly those moments of joy, thanksgiving and reaching new milestones, significant milestones, can pass. Unless we take time to recognize the milestones that they really are, to remember, to give thanks.

Post-Its of Remembrance


On the board next to my desk is this post-it.



Though it keeps un-sticking itself and fluttering all over the place, I'm determined to keep it in front of me. It reminds me of two things.

Firstly, that having children means doodles end up on all sorts of things, even stuff that's supposed to be 'work stuff'. (The numbers 1 2 3 at the bottom are complements of Esther...).

And secondly, it reminds me that not so long ago, the radio station was operating on these reduced broadcasting hours - 5 am-1 pm, and 3 pm-10 pm - instead of 4.30 am till 11 am on AM (and 24/7 online), because funds were so tight we had to conserve money spent for fuel (used in generators for electricity). We were off the air during the day, that's a big deal for anyone in broadcasting.

But we've made progress. And we're not on that reduced schedule anymore.

Let the Rocks Cry Out


About a month ago, I was compiling materials to highlight Radio 4VEH's ministry over 64 years for an upcoming award (more on that later!). Much of what we have as a record of the 'early days' comes from the book written by Rachael Picazo, Let the Rocks Cry Out. An incredible record, an incredible history for an incredible ministry. Two things struck me: back in 1951, a lightening storm burned out the transmitter and the station was off the air for six months, until a new transmitter was in place; and then in 1968, a rebel invasion of Cap-Haitien forced the station off the air for 40 days. Off the air. Unable to 'do ministry'. Unable to do what 4VEH exists to do. URGH!

But only 'unable' temporarily.

I knew about those two events already, but they stuck with me because Storly and I are conscious right now of needing to take the time and being intentional in remembering and sharing with others 'the long view'. The long view back and the long view forward. That's part of our roles in leadership is to help others involved in the ministry - whether it's with coworkers, with people who partner with us through prayer, giving and helping in different ways - to get an understanding of where we've come from and where we're going as a ministry. Of what God has done, is doing and will do.

So often, we, I am focused on the next thing. The next big thing that's looming. And it seems there's hardly time to catch my breath from the previous thing. As I mentioned, last week we reached a milestone.

And after a few moments of joy, literally within minutes, we were back to fighting the next fire.

But I'm determined to set up some stones of remembrance. And that's exactly what I get to do in telling the stories of the ministry. Establishing points to remember all that the Lord has done. In someone's life. In a community. In the life of the ministry.

In Billy Graham Evangelistic Association's Decision magazine, Anne Graham Lotz writes:
When have you, too, shouted for joy over the display of God’s glory wrapped up in His character in each day of every year for your entire life?
In Luke 19:40 Jesus said, “If we keep quiet (and don’t praise God), the stones will cry out.” Why would you and I remain silent, forfeiting to stones the joy of praising God for what He has done?
Samuel used stones as a memorial when God’s people wanted to remember His goodness and faithfulness. First Samuel 7:12 says that when God enabled the Israelites to defeat the Philistines, the Prophet Samuel “took a stone and … named it Ebenezer, saying, ‘Thus far has the Lord helped us.’”
[This Ebenezer verse from 1 Samuel was the theme for 4VEH's 60th Anniversary in 2010, and it opened my eyes to this whole concept of remembering in the Bible.]
Joshua also used stones to help God’s people remember His goodness. After wandering in the wilderness for 40 years, the Israelites experienced the power of God to roll back the waters of the Jordan River, enabling them to cross over and take possession of the Promised Land. Joshua then commanded them to build a memorial of stones as a public testimony of what God had done for them … stones that would remind them to keep on praising Him.
So I'm going to stick another post-it on my board to remember this milestone. Perhaps I'll even get a stone to sit on my desk. How about you? Is there something you need to do as a public testimony of what God has done for you? Something that will remind you to keep on praising Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment