Monday, April 13, 2015

In training: the IndyMini

If you've seen some of my Facebook posts recently, you'll know that I'm in training, for my first half-marathon.

Last year, something unexpected happened. It didn't start with running, it didn't even start with working out regularly and becoming active (though that did happen) but I became a runner. I'm still tempted to say I'm becoming a runner, but as my fitness app (MapMyFitness) is telling me I have run 316.28 miles over the last 12 months, (yes, RUN!, I've walked and biked some miles too), I am a runner. And I'm loving it!

Time to replace the more-than-10-years-old running shoes!

But the first few weeks of running around our local park, desperate to get to our end point (a STOP sign) nearly a mile away left me red-faced and puffing like a dragon - just in case you're thinking I'm a natural :) But the persistence paid off. If I had not persisted through the early miles, I would not have learned that it takes me about 3 miles to get into my groove. Then I hear whispers of "Run, Forest, Run"....

After I finished our city's Mill Race 5K in September, we went to the finish line of the half and full marathons and cheered the runners on...I must admit I went a little wild and crazy in cheering and shouting for people I had never met, nor have met since. But seeing people - of all ages, shapes and sizes - working hard, putting in the effort and reaching their goal was pretty amazing. And inspired me to do the same.

But as I started building up my distances from 3 miles to 5, 6, then 8 miles, I began wondering what would keep me going for 13.1 miles. And it was obvious - another family in Haiti receiving a Resounding Hope radio. That's what would keep me going another mile, another mile....

Though I had enjoyed the fact that running was my own activity and not work-related, what I do with Radio 4VEH/Resounding Hope is such a part of who I am, and I just can't separate it! So I'm running for Resounding Hope, to raise funds for solar radios tuned to Radio 4VEH to bless families in Haiti.

I started the Resounding Hope initiative a few years ago, and I know these radios are making a huge difference in people's lives in Haiti - reaching people with the Gospel, helping believers grow in their faith, building up the church and serving the people of Haiti in Jesus' name. Others have ridden bikes across the country, made hair bows to sell, had lemonade stands and pancake breakfasts...all to raise funds for Resounding Hope. 

And so I've been putting in the miles (and miles...) through the cold Indiana winter and now stormy spring to be ready for the Indy 500 Mini (Half Marathon) on May 2 and to raise funds for more radios. 



I was determined not to be just a fair-weather runner, though the winter here can
get nasty. I only missed running outside one week because of ice and wind-chill
advisories (frostbite warnings etc), and one week because I pulled a calf muscle.

Can't have too many hats on when it's below freezing! 
Did you know: 
  • 4 in 5 people in Haiti live in poverty
  • 4 in 5 adults can't read well enough to cope with daily life
So these radios, powered by the sun, help connect often-illiterate, isolated, Voodoo-background households with the Bible in their heart language, with practical farming & health advice, life-saving information when disaster strikes, and friendly voices (like hubby Storly's) to help and encourage them.
My goal is to raise $3,900 to sponsor 65 solar radios - and bless 65 households in Haiti. That's $60 to sponsor one radio and reach a whole household. And 65 radios in honour of Radio 4VEH's 65th Anniversary in June. And thanks to some generous friends, I'm at 73% of my fundraising goal. 
You can help me reach my goal by making a donation of $20, $60, $100, $600 or any amount you can manage. Every little helps! Go to my online fundraising page here: http://org.grouprev.com/katesrunforresoundinghope to make an online donation. 



If you prefer, you can give by check, payable to One Mission Society with "407870-HRKM1 Kate's Run" in the memo line, and mail it to One Mission Society, PO Box 1648, Monument, CO 80132-1648. Your donation is tax-deductible in the US, and you will receive a receipt from One Mission Society. 

If you're in the UK and would like to give, make your cheque payable to One Mission Society, marked for Resounding Hope (Project RESHO) with a note "Kate's Run" and send to:
One Mission Society/OMS UK, 1 Sandileigh Ave, Manchester, M20 3LN Charity No. 245124    Tel: 0161 283 7992

Be sure to let me know so I can mark your donation against my goal on my fundraising page. 

So, what is the Indy Mini


  • the biggest half-marathon in the USA - about 35,000 participants
  • there's nothing mini about running 13.1 miles
  • in Indianapolis, the big city nearest us
  • it's part of the Indy500 racing car festival
  • the route includes a 2.5 mile lap around the Indy500 racetrack at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway - woohoo!
  • and it's in 19 days - yikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment