Monday, May 26, 2014

"So, How was Haiti?" Part 4 (Last One!)

We're cranking up on final preparations for our UK trip, then our Haiti trip this summer, so this has to be the last post from my April trip.

One thing I learned long ago during my years with World Vision in West Africa, and it applies equally in Haiti, is this: when people are expecting you to take a photo of them, they go from all relaxed, happy and smiley, to assuming the "Victorian England" position. That's just the way it is. The culturally-accepted 'great family portrait' shot in Haiti is one where no-one is smiling.

So, the challenge of getting people to smile when I take photos is one that I thoroughly enjoyed on this trip. Because I have learned a secret.

There are usually 3 stages. First, I demonstrate to the person or people that I'm going to take a picture of them. They immediately assume the Victorian position.

Semi-formal expressions from this mother and daughter, who had both just
made decisions to follow Jesus. 
Next, I ask for them to smile. "Eske ou ka fe yon ti souri?" This usually gets a forced kind of smile. Then comes the secret weapon.

I ask "Eske ou ka grinyen dan?" which literally means "Show me your teeth." It's a very Haitian expression that people don't expect a blan (foreigner) like me to know. It usually gets a laugh. And people oblige by, well, showing me their teeth.  



 A few other photos to finish:


I'm so glad I got this shot of these great ministry leaders. (l to r), Pastor Job, Medson (Emmanuel Félix), Pastor Janiel and Pastor Lucce. Medson serves as Radio 4VEH's Extension Ministries Director (using Resounding Hope radios, along with his assistant Pastor Hérode), and pastors Job, Janiel & Lucce serve with OMS's catalyst for church-planting and multiplication, Every Community for Christ. 

They were with us for the evangelism & solar radio distribution outreach in Adam village near Dondon. As Matt Ayars (Rector of OMS-related Emmaus Biblical Seminary) commented on this photo: " Four. Great. Men." Amen to that!


Kids crowd at the door of the church (in Adam village, in preparation of
evangelism & radio distribution) to see why this group of blan is here. 

I'm taking pictures of them. He's taking pictures of me (on a cellphone)!

Steve Gross had this crazy white holier-than-thou glow over him as he talked  to
this lady, a fellow believer. With the midday sun reflecting off the iron sheeting roof,
I just couldn't get another angle without the glow. I think it adds a little something, no?

Someone's tired. 

I asked this boy what he had, thinking he'd give some local name
 for this particular kind of fish. He replied: Pwason.
Yep, fish. 

Our awesome team from Findlay, OH and Columbus, IN:
back, l to r: Michael, Larry
front, l to r: Amy, Karen, Keri, Kate, Kelly, Debbie

Yes, I was there! Thanks to Steve for getting a photo with me in it. 
Thanks for reading, sharing these posts and giving us feedback. Hopefully there's something of value to you! 

No comments:

Post a Comment